Traces of Hildegard in Today's Bingen
In 1098 Hildegard was born a tenth child to a noble family in Bermersheim near Alzey.
At age eight she was sent to the abbess Jutta von Sponheim who led the convent at Disibodenberg.
When Jutta died in 1136 , Hildegard became abbess for 12 years at the Disibodenberg.
In one of her numerous visions she received the order to found a convent at that same place where St. Rupert had lived.
Together with eighteen nuns she moved to the new abbey at the Rupertsberg near Bingen in 1150.
Because of the always growing number of sisters Hildegard had to set up another convent. She found a possibility in a
vacant monastery in Eibingen on the other side of the Rhine. She bought it in 1165 and restored it.
Hildegard was one of the most important personalities of the Middle Ages. Besides religious subjects which she treated in her
book "Scivias" she dealt with the description of nature and naturopathy and wrote important books about these topics.
She wrote numerous spiritual songs, as well as the moral play "Ordo virtutum".
It is astonishing that she undertook several journeys in spite of her weakness in order to preach,
to reform monasteries, and to persuade priests and laymen to a Christian life.
Hildegard died on 17th September 1179 at the Rupertsberg. Her relics rest in the parish church in Eibingen since 1642.
Traces of Hildegard in Bingen
1. Basilika of St. Martin
First mentioned in 793 , destroyed by fire in 1403 , reerected 1416 in the gothic style.
In 1929/30 Pope Pius XI. gave it the title of a "basilica minor" on the occasion of the 750. anniversary of St. Hildegard's death.
Statue of St. Hildegard in the choir (18th century) ; Hildegardis-Organ (Ott 1970)
Opened daily 8.00 h- 17.00 h
2. Bridge Chapel in the Drusus Bridge
An architectural peculiarity! Bridge and Chapel (it is located in the eastern pillar)
were erected by archbishop Willigis in 989 in the same style (ottonian)
as the former Abbey Rupertsberg.
The building impresses by the clarity of its proportions.
Interesting cross-vault !
Sightseeing only on arrangement. Inquire at the Tourist-Information (Tel. 0 67 21/1 42 69 or 184-206)
3. Remains of Abbey Rupertsberg in the house of the company Würth in the quarter Bingerbrück
5 arcades from the main aisle of the abbey church
can be found in the exhibition rooms of würth büroland. The church was destroyed in the Thirty Years' War.
Till that time the relics of St. Hildegard have been in the crypt (still in good condition) below the church.
The wine cellar of the convent is also preserved.
Restored portal of the abbey (15th century)
Sightseeing only on arrangement. Tel. 0 67 21/30 50
Picture from the 19. century "St. Rupertus Kloster bei Bingen"
4. Catholic parish church Bingerbrück "Hildegardis-Gedächtniskirche"
In the western transept Hildegard-memorial place, tapestry,
statue of St. Hildegard and several windows with pictures of Hildegard's life.
5. Pedestrian Precinct (House Basilikastraße 8)
Mural painting: St. Hildegard and Abbey Rupertsberg.
6. Pedestrian Precinct - Speisemarkt
Fountain at the marketplace (1981) - Board: Hildegard preaches to the people (1155) in front of the
church at Rupertsberg
7. Klopp Castle - History Museum
A comb made of ivory (replica) is ascribed to St. Hildegard. The middle part of the comb
shows three armed warriors on the one side, on the other side the race of two charioteers
in their quadrigas is depicted.
Nice view of Bingen from the tower.
Office hours: from Holy Week to end of October 9.00 -12.00 und 14.00-17.00 h.
Closed on Mondays.
8. Rochus Chapel with Hildegardis-Altar
Scenes of her life are depicted on the boards:
Hildegard with playing children looks into a beam of light
Delivery of the child to Jutta
Meeting with emperor, pope and St. Bernard de Clairvaux
Hildegard preaches to the people
Office hours: anteroom: daily 9.00 - 17.00 h.
Church: on Sundays 14.00 - 17.00 h.
9. Abbey St. Hildegard
Abbey of Benedictine nuns (re-established in 1904).
In the church frescoes of the life of St. Hildegard.
Shrine with the relics of St. Hildegard in the parish church in Eibingen (quarter of Rüdesheim).
10. House Mainzer Straße 1
Statue of St. Hildegard at the corner of the house,
11. Grammar school "Hildegardisschule"
Wooden frieze made by Wilhelm Klumb
Impressum: "Working group for the promotion of the tradition of Hildegard". Layout: Marie-Luise Auernheimer, Beate Goetz,
Gertrud Sieben. Cover: Anneliese Reichmann. Images: Winfried Arnold. Typesetting:
HTML: Roland Horst